Tuesday, December 18, 2007

An Empire of a Different Kind

I have been reading about the Roman Empire of late, particularly of Caesar Augustus, the leader under whom Rome achieved a stature that the world had never witnessed before. It was an incredible empire, powerful and advanced in every way.

As I read of Augustus' life, I wonder, 'how in the world would I keep my ego in check if I literally ruled the world?' Many of the Caesars took the step of proclaiming themselves to be gods, and who could argue? Caesars ruled with great power. Rome could not be conquered. I wonder what there would be within us to put a border on our ego if there were no external borders placed on our power? When I am defeated I am humbled, but with all success and power what would limit my thoughts about myself? It seems power fed the egos of the Caesars - perhaps in a way the world had never seen.

I think of this, because into this Roman Empire Jesus was born. Yes, it was on the fringe. But Jesus, as his followers would be - was born into this empire, and interestingly within it, he would build an empire of a different kind. It would surpass Rome's in its size and power, it would claim more citizens than Rome ever knew, and it would also have limits. In building his kingdom Jesus keeps our egos in check by reminding us that his kingdom is based on words like humility and service, forgiveness and mercy. These words deflate the ego, even defeat it.

Letting my mind wander, I confess that I have tried often to turn my life into my own pathetic little empire and as it has been built taken the ego ride that comes with it - a pep-rally of my own importance. I hope that Christmas returns me again to the basics. Life is about Jesus and the values he taught - and really it is in his empire I want to find a place.

Happy Birthday, Jesus. I am glad that you are here.

2 comments:

JD said...

Nice post, Andy! I appreciate that perspective and have never really looked at the "Christian Empire" like that. Could the problems that arose during the Crusades and later, shortly before the reformation ba attributed to those that stopped doing what we are first and foremost called to do as Christians...Serve?

Keep up the great posts. Hope to read more from you this year and through 2008.

PAX
JD

Tibor said...

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Man was not created for such a thing because we can't handle it. No one can. That is why when Isreal wanted a king, God told Samuel that don't worry its not you they are rejecting, its Me. (Paraphrased 1 Sam. 8)